Happy Friday everyone! The one of my absolute favorite restaurants, Taziki’s, was born in the Birmingham area not far from where I grew up. It quickly became one of our staple Sunday lunch spots after church as a family. I went on to work there for a few years in high school and it was really the best job, who wouldn't love to be surrounded by good people and great food all day? One of my favorite things is finding or creating recipes for dishes from restaurants that I love. After finding an article on AL.com that helped guide me, I was on the road to making one of my favorite meals. On a bed of lettuce sits chicken and penne pasta tossed in the balsamic dressing, and topped with tomatoes, feta cheese and fresh basil. Simple. Different. Delicious. Just one of the many amazing things to eat from Taziki’s, but this Friday Special has always been my favorite for anyone who is a regular. Even though there is a Taziki's not far from my house now, I am so glad I can make it at home when I want!
Taziki’s Balsamic Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Mayo to thicken, if needed
- Blend all ingredients except olive oil.
- Once the first ingredients are smooth, slowly pour in the olive oil with blender on low.
- Add mayo to thicken if needed. I tend to add about a tablespoon to mine.
Taziki’s Friday Special
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 of a lemon
- Greek seasoning
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- Balsamic Dressing (recipe above)
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup feta
*NOTE: you can use any left over chicken of choice!
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place chicken breasts in an oven-safe dish. Sprinkle each breasts with salt, pepper and Greek seasoning on both sides.
- Squeeze the half of one lemon over the chicken. Place the lemon in the dish for flavor along with the rosemary sprig.
- Cook the chicken for about 20-25 minutes in the oven, or until the juices run clear.
- While your chicken is cooking, boil a pot of water for the penne and cook until al dente.
- Drain the penne and slice the chicken breasts.
- Toss the chicken and penne in the pot you cooked the pasta in with the balsamic dressing.
- Create a bed of lettuce on each plate and pour the chicken and penne mixture over the lettuce.
- Top with tomatoes, feta and basil.
Until next time,