When I think if vanilla pudding, it takes me back to a very special, fancy place...Pizza Hut. Growing up, my grandmother, Sissy as we call her, would take my brother and I to the Pizza Hut buffet in her tiny town of Monroeville. A highlight of my summers for sure.
There's just something so simple and fabulous about vanilla pudding. If you need to take a break from trying to make a dessert for the 4th crazy stars and stripes, give this pudding a go! The topping can be almost anything you wish. I had blueberries and I thought they would be festive, so I used those. To keep on with a patriotic theme you could absolutely throw in some red berry or topping.
Also, if I am really honest, the reason I made this recipe is because I had a sh!t ton of milk in my refrigerator and we were leaving for vacation and I needed to use it up!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
1. Heat the milk in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until the edges start to bubble. Do not let the milk boil!
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into the hot and bubbling (just on the edge) milk.
3. Continue to stir until the mixture could heavily coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter.
4. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Until next time, GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Recipe adapted from, here.