spicy margarita pizza
I have a hard time saying no to cheese pizzas. As much as I love to be adventurous with pizza toppings, I legitimately crave the simplicity of the crust, cheese and sauce. When I made this Spicy Margarita Pizza, I felt like I had been adventurous and basic all in the same time which if you're wondering, feels amazing.
RT and I are still without our perfect pizza peel. I am still a little embarrassed about the fact, but let me tell you, it is not stopping us from creating a delicious pie or two at home. For his Spicy Margarita Pizza, I ended up par-baking the crust. The reason I did this is because instead of having to maneuver raw dough that has all the toppings, I was able to have a more stable crust to get the topped pizza back onto the pizza stone. I also feel like baking the dough like this gave us that thin, yet fluffy dough.
I know I keep writing about the tastes of summer, but fresh tomatoes and fresh basil scream summer in all its goodness. Next time we make this Spicy Margarita Pizza, I am even going to take the summer-ness of this recipe to the next level by cooking it on the grill! What I use to make this pizza spicy, in case you were wondering, is a spicy marinara. I buy store bought for a quick and easy week night meal, but with all the fresh tomatoes I have this summer I definitely plan to make some homemade pizza sauce to put in the freezer for the fall!
I like my tomatoes in chunks in a margarita pizza instead of slices, my reasoning behind this is because you can get the whole piece in your mouth with the bite of pizza. The slices tend to fall off, and I just prefer them all around in small portions. On a pizza that is!
Spicy Margarita Pizza
- 1 prepared ball of pizza dough
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/3 cup spicy jarred marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 4 large basil leaves, julienned
- olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 475F. When oven is preheated, put pizza stone in for 20 minutes.
2. While the pizza stone preheats, roll out dough in a 12in.x12in. square. Or circle! Cook dough on preheated stone for 5 minutes.
3. Remove par-baked dough and assemble the pizza: sauce, cheese, tomatoes. Cook pizza for about 12 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
4. Brush pizza crust with olive oil and sprinkle on basil. Slice into 9 squares and enjoy!
Until next time,