green bean and bacon salad
These pictures pretty much speak for themselves. Now one of my all-time favorite side dishes. I mean honestly, bacon falls under one of my top foods, so anything to include it I am into. Which is weird, because I didn't like it much at all growing up. Bacon and hot dogs were things I tolerated, but didn't love. Now, I love bacon and really enjoy a burnt hot dog.
Fresh green beans are crazy cheap at the grocery store and I am always looking for a new way to make them. The vinegary bite you get from the dijon vinaigrette is such a fabulous punch with the crunchy green bean.
Green Bean and Bacon Salad
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reserved bacon fat
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
1. Fry bacon and crumble. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons of the bacon fat for the dressing.
2. In a pot of boiling water, boil the green beans for 5 minutes. Have a bowl of ice water to put them in when you take them out of the boiling water.
3. In a small bowl, mix together dijon, bacon fat, vinegar, olive oil and agave nectar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Drain the green beans from the water. Pat to dry. Place on a platter, pour dressing over and top with bacon! Serve room temperature or cold!*
*If you're not into room temp/cold green beans this dish can totally be warmed in the oven.
Until next time, I'll keep adding bacon to most things...